Strand 1: Developing literacy in the primary phase
- 45 primary schools are engaged in the Learning Threes.
- Initially each school will be working on its own action plan, as agreed with a NLE (National Leader of Education), to help narrow the achievement gap between disadvantaged pupils and all others.
- The majority of funding will be available, according to need, for those schools who qualified under the eligibility criteria of the bid.
- These schools will identify a teacher to work closely with a lead practitioner to achieve the outcomes of the action plan.
Most schools are also engaged on the four day Power of Reading programme (which can be rolled out whole school or for selected age groups) or the Hertfordshire Reading Fluency programme. As the project develops, we envisage schools collaborating in learning threes on common threads of improvement within their schools.
Nine primary schools attended the Reading Fluency Training, and 50 attended the Power of Reading. Both programmes have been very favourably received.
Pupils at Christ Church CE Primary School and Whitefield Primary School are already engaged in the text The Journey.
All NLE visits have been carried out for the 45 schools, and we aim to ensure all schools have also had their first Lead Practitioner visit by February half term.
- Completing action plans with specific targets for 2018/2019
- Implementing action plans in school with support of Lead Practitioner
- Periodic reviews of phonics data.
- Embedding learning from Power of Reading/ Reading Fluency in classrooms