Strand 1: Developing literacy in the primary phase
- 45 primary schools are engaged as receivers of support.
- Each school is working on its own action plan, as agreed with a NLE (National Leader of Education), to help narrow the achievement gap between disadvantaged pupils and all others.
- The majority of funding will be available, according to need, for those schools who qualified under the eligibility criteria of the bid.
- These schools will identify a teacher to work closely with a lead practitioner to achieve the outcomes of the action plan.
Most schools are also engaged on the four day Power of Reading programme (which can be rolled out whole school or for selected age groups) or the Hertfordshire Reading Fluency programme. More recently a group of schools are now working with Professor Wayne Tennent (Brunel University London) on the Guided comprehension programme.
The project promotes the use of well researched recommendations for improving literacy outcomes for disadvantaged pupils, such as those provided by the Education Endowment Foundation. Click on the images below for access to the KS1 and KS2 guidance reports.
- Implementing action plans in school with support of Lead Practitioner
- Embedding learning from Power of Reading/ Reading Fluency/ Guided Comprehension in classrooms